A grieving mother Kellie Travers-Stafford, from Weston, FL, is warning other parents to be vigilant of food allergies following an incident with her 15-year-old daughter, Alexi Ryann Stafford, who tragically passed away after accidentally consuming a cookie containing peanut butter chips in it.
Kellie explained in a touching Facebook post how she did everything in her power to keep her daughters allergy to peanut butter under control.
However, a mixup involving Chips Ahoy cookie packaging caused her daughter to pass away after consuming just one cookie.
Once Alexi had eaten the cookie, she began to fell an allergic reaction come on.
“Our hearts are broken and we are still in shock. Our whole lives we dedicated to keeping our child safe from one ingredient: peanuts,” Kellie wrote. “On Monday, June 25, our 15-year-old daughter, Alexi Ryann Stafford, while at a friends house, made a fatal choice. There was an open package of Chips Ahoy cookies, the top flap of the package was pulled back and the packaging was too similar to what we had previously deemed ‘safe’ [for] her.”
“She ate one chewy Chips Ahoy [cookie] thinking it was safe because of the ‘red’ packaging, only to find out too late that there was an added ingredient . . . Reese peanut butter cups/chips,” said Kellie. “She started feeling tingling in her mouth and came straight home.”
Alexi’s condition took a turn for the worse as soon as she returned home all while her mom watched helplessly, waiting for help to arrive.
“It’s important to us to spread awareness so that this horrible mistake doesn’t happen again.” “Her condition rapidly deteriorated. She went into anaphylactic shock, stopped breathing, and went unconscious,” she explained. “We administered two Epipens while she was conscious and waited on paramedics for what felt like an eternity. She died within 1 & 1/2 hours of eating the cookie.”
When one looks at the containers in side-by-side photos, it’s not difficult to see how the confusion occurred.
The packaging on both is essentially identical other than a tiny logo in the corner.
“As a mother who diligently taught her the ropes of what was OK to ingest and what was not, I feel lost and angry because she knew her limits and was aware of familiar packageing, she knew what ‘safe’ was,” said Kellie. “A small added indication on the pulled-back flap on a familiar red package wasn’t enough to call out to her that there was ‘peanut product’ in the cookies before it was too late.“
Kellie her mother is now doing everything in her power to make sure no other child makes the same dreaded error her daughter did.
“I want to share our story with everyone because we want to spread awareness. The company has different coloured packageing to indicate chunky, chewy, or regular but NO screaming warnings about such a fatal ingredient to many people,” wrote Kellie. “Especially children. It’s important to us to spread awareness so that this horrible mistake doesn’t happen again.”
Help us spread awareness of the danger and SHARE this post with others to prevent this from occurring again in the future.
Published By Viraline News.